Need to sort out a sports injury or a strain?
Get in touch to talk about your pains and strains and find out how I can help you.
Sports Massage, Horsham
I provide Sports and Remedial Massage to clients in Horsham and the surrounding area.
Sports Massage is a deep tissue massage and is also often referred to as a remedial massage. Many people believe that sports massage is purely for those taking part in sport. This is not so. Exercise causes tiny micro tears in the muscles, they become sore, knotted and can shorten in length. The muscle can repair and grow stronger from exercise, given sufficient recovery time. However the shortening can affect the range of movement in a joint.
Inactivity, however, can have the same effect, such as sitting at a desk for prolonged hours. This can cause lower back pain due to tightened thigh muscles or poor posture causing neck and shoulder pain.
Benefits of Sports Massage
Sports or remedial massage offers a number of benefits:
- Relaxes the muscles, reduces pain and tension
- Breaks down scar tissue, adhesions and knots that can affect performance
- Stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system which calms our body down
- Can help reduce your heart rate, blood pressure, and increases the blood circulation
- Can speed up recovery from injuries
- Helps to detoxify the body
A massage can include stretching techniques to lengthen the muscle, and identify problems such as muscular imbalance, weak muscles, poor posture, poor technique and provide advice and guidance on preventative measures and self care. A Sports Massage therapist may be qualified to carry out orthopaedic tests and use electrical therapy such as ultra sound and acupuncture.